Founded in the year 2016, the GW Institute for Korean Studies (GWIKS) is a university wide Institute housed in the Elliott School of International Affairs at the George Washington University. The establishment of the GWIKS in 2016 was made possible by a generous grant from the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS). The mission of GWIKS is to consolidate, strengthen, and grow the existing Korean studies program at GW, and more generally in the greater D.C. area and beyond. The Institute enables and enhances productive research and education relationships within GW, and among the many experts throughout the region and the world.
Spring 2019 Announcements & News
- Summer Study Abroad Program OPEN FOR APPLICATION! We invite students interested in studying Korea to visit various professional sites in South Korea.
- GWIKS, in partnership with the Sigur Center for Asian Studies, has been awarded both a National Resource Center (NRC) and Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Title VI award for East Asian Studies by the U.S. Department of Education! Click here for more information regarding the award. The 2019 Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowship Due Date is February 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm EST (NOON). Apply
- CALL FOR PAPERS: North Korea and Communication – ICA Pre-Conference at Hilton Washington DC, May 24, 2019. Click here for details.
- Korean Major Starting in Fall 2019! We are delighted to share with you that the Korean major has been officially approved by the University. With the addition of four new courses (Advanced Conversation and Composition I and II, Introduction to the History of the Korean Language, and North Korean Society and Culture) all approved, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures will be offering the major from Fall of 2019. Find out more
- GW Institute for Korean Studies and Indiana University Bloomington have inaugurated the first annual GW-IU Undergraduate Research Exchange Program. Selected students will participate in research workshops during the fall and spring semesters, take part in a mini-conference, and present their papers at the annual GW-IU Korean Studies Undergraduate Research Exchange Conference in the spring semester. The conference alternates locations between Washington, DC, and Bloomington, IN. This academic year’s conference will be held at the GW on Saturday, April 20, 2019.
In the News
2018 Hahn Moo-Sook Opening
Concert & Lecture